Check Your Federal Tax Withholding Amount

The Federal Tax Reform Bill has changed the federal income tax withholding amount for most UW–Madison employees. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is encouraging taxpayers to make sure they are having the right amount of tax taken out of their paychecks. Doing a “paycheck checkup” can help prevent you from having too little or too much tax withheld. The IRS offers an online Withholding Calculator to help you determine the right amount of tax withholding for your situation. If you would like to make a change in how much federal income tax you have withheld from your paycheck, you will need to update your Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate. To fill out a new W-4, log into MyUW and launch the Payroll Information module, or see your local payroll contact for assistance. Find the IRS Withholding Calculator at

Read more