How to check your tax withholding amounts

All UW–Madison employees are encouraged to do a “paycheck checkup” by reviewing their earnings statement. This can help prevent you from having too little or too much federal or state tax withheld from your paycheck. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers a Tax Withholding Estimator to help you determine the right amount of tax withholding for your situation at estimator. UW‒Madison cannot provide tax advice. Each employee must make withholding decisions on their own or with the assistance of their individual tax consultant. If you would like to make a change in how much tax you have withheld, go to MyUW > Payroll Information > Update W-4. A W-4 Quick Guide is also available online in English, Spanish, Hmong, Tibetan, Chinese and Nepali at This one-page guide provides instructions and tips on how to change the amount of income tax you have withheld from your paycheck.

Read more